We all go through periods of our lives where we experience digestive issues. Whether you are nervous about a job interview or you are awaiting news of a new mortgage, stress on the body can have an impact on your digestive system. Have you ever heard of “nervous movements”? It’s when your body responds to tension by turning your digestive system to metaphorical liquid and you have to be on the toilet right now.
Whether we’re talking bowel issues or we’re talking reflux and acidic heartburn, your digestion and all that encompasses your digestive system needs to be taken care of if you want your body to feel healthy. Digestive symptoms can have a negative impact on your day to day life, and you want to be able to improve your digestion to get rid of these symptoms. To be able to do this, you need to check out these natural ways to make your digestive system work better than it ever has before.
- Eat real food. We are living in a privileged position of being able to enjoy food that is processed and full of additives. This is a privilege as it can be accessed by anyone on the scale of wealth. If you ensure that you eat a better, more wholesome diet of real food, you’re going to add fiber, vitamins and minerals to your diet that will enable your digestive system to move properly. Balancing your gut bacteria is important, and the more real foods you eat, the better.
- Eat more fiber. As we just mentioned, real food and leafy greens are a great source of fiber, but you want to make sure that you are getting plenty of it into your body. Your digestive system needs fiber to feed that bacteria in your gut and the right high fiber diets can reduce the risk of conditions like irritable bowels. Recipes at goodnature.com can show you how to pack your diet with fruit and veggies and give you the boost you need. You can find fiber in grains, fruits and vegetables and add it into your diet.
- Consider fats. You need a good balance of healthy fats in your diet, as without these you are going to find it tough to stay satisfied after a meal. It’s vital, though, that you choose healthy fats as much as possible. To do this, you want to ensure that you have a good balance of nuts and seeds, avocados and fatty fish like salmon and mackerel. When you do this, you can ensure that your body is filled with the right macros that are balanced. Good fats will help you to absorb nutrients properly.
- Hydrate. As much as your digestive system requires nutritious food and vitamins, you need to have a good amount of water in your diet to function well. Low fluid intake is going to cause you to become constipated. When you are constipated, you deal with bloating and discomfort, and you can cause fissures when you try to pass a movement.
- Manage stress better. As we said right at the start, a stressful day can cause you to have difficulty in your ability to properly digest your food. Stress will also cause incredibly loose movements as you don’t have time to digest properly. Managing that stress can change your comfort levels massively!
Did you know you can get help right here at Thrive Yoga and Wellness to set up a good healthy nutritious diet? Yup, that’s right! Our very own Jennifer Dixon is a certified Nutrition Consultant with INFS and you can hire her to help develop a nutrition plan (and fitness plan) that can help you lose weight, gain muscle, and feel better! Check out Thrive Elite for more info.